National Pie Week the Darwin Escapes Way
It’s National Pie Week and Darwin Escapes are kicking it off in the right way!
Our Head Chef Ryan has given us a recipe of his favourite pastry dish, a minted lamb, leek and potato pie! With a list of ingredients and the cooking method below, you can cook your very own jaw-dropping pie, if you use our Ryan’s recipe let us know through our social channels, he loved to see what yours look like!
Minted Lamb, leek and potato pie
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
[item]800g diced Welsh lamb[/item]
[item]160g diced leeks[/item]
[item]1 large diced onion[/item]
[item]½ head celery diced[/item]
[item]Bunch shredded mint[/item]
[item]180g diced potato[/item]
[item]2 tbsp redcurrant jelly[/item]
[item]1 clove garlic, fine chopped/grated[/item]
[item]2 sprigs rosemary, leaves chopped[/item]
[item]¼ bottle white wine[/item]
[item]1 pt chicken stock[/item]
[item]2 tbsp vegetable oil[/item]
[item]Salt and pepper[/item]
[item]Shortcrust (ready rolled is fine if you don’t want to make from scratch)[/item]
[item]A little milk[/item]
- Heat the oil in a large heavy bottomed pan and brown
- Add the leek, onion, celery and garlic and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- When the veg has softened, add the wine, stock, mint, redcurrant jelly and season.
- Cover and simmer gently for a couple of hours
- Add the diced potato and cook for another ½ hour or so until cooked through but not breaking up.
- Line pie dish with the short crust and blind bake for 8-10 minutes
- Fill the pie dish with the filling and cover with a shortcrust lid (allow extra round the edges for shrinking and don’t forget to snip a hole in the top to let steam out)
- Brush on the beaten egg mixed with milk, prick the centre with a fork and cook in a moderately hot oven for about 15-20 minutes until the pastry is golden
- Enjoy while it’s hot with buttery mash and savoy cabbage…mmmmm
This recipe serves 6 (although not in my house)
Ryan’s looking forward to seeing your pie masterpieces! Happy National Pie Week!